The Board

The NT Plumbers & Drainers Licensing Board, a statutory authority established under section 5 of the Plumbers and Drainers Licensing Act 1983, is responsible for issuing Advanced Tradesman licences and Journeyman registration cards.

The Board administers the Plumbers and Drainers Licensing Act 1983, which applies to declared plumbing licence areas PDF (109.6 KB). The Board ensures that only qualified persons obtain licences, registration cards and certificates. It is also responsible for assessing and maintaining standards of workmanship and for consumer protection through the investigation of complaints and, where appropriate, taking disciplinary action.

The Board functions in conjunction with other authorities which, under their respective legislation, require authorised plumbing and drainage works to be carried out by licensed tradesmen.

Forms and general information about plumbing licences are also available through the Territory Business Centres (TBC).

For more specific information about Plumbers and Drainers licences please contact the Plumbers and Drainers Licensing Board on 08 8936 4083.

For specific information about becoming a certifying plumber contact the Building Practitioners Board.

Application lodgement

Licensing / registration applications can be lodged at the TBC in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek or Alice Springs. TBC staff will accept your form and payment and take photographs if required.

If you wish to speak to a licensing officer please call the number given on the application form.

In addition to lodging in person at a TBC, applications can be scanned and emailed or sent by mail to the addresses shown on each form.

All applicants (new or renewing) must provide evidence of access to the current version of Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500.

Looking for a licensed plumber?

View a complete list of currently licensed plumbers and drainers PDF (356.7 KB) here. This list was last updated 13 May 2020.

If you want to employ a plumber and cannot find his name on the list, contact the Registrar on (08) 8936 4083 to check that he is licensed in the NT.

Please note that a Journeyman is not a licensed plumber and cannot contract for work directly with a customer. All work carried out by a Journeyman must be supervised by an Advanced Tradesman. A list of currently registered Journeymen is available from the Registrar.

An Advanced Tradesman who wishes to certify (sign off) work must be registered as a Certifying Plumber and Drainer with the Building Practitioners Board.

If the Board does not have your current address you will not receive a renewal notice.

Backflow prevention devices / hot water temperature control devices

These courses are held from time-to-time in Darwin and Alice Springs by Charles Darwin University. Contact the university on 08 8946 7679 for more information.

If you complete one or both of these courses, your licence / registration card can show this. Just send the Registrar a copy of your certificate and you will receive a new card, complete with endorsement.

A list of plumbers qualified to install and test backflow prevention devices PDF (206.9 KB) This list was last updated 13 May 2020.